Tuesday, October 12, 2010

to iPad or not to iPad

My home computer is getting a little weird, odd shutdowns and other irregular performance--processor problems. I suspect I'll need to get a new computer in a while. Most of what I do at home is web surfing, a little bit of word processing and the occasional spreadsheet (mostly in Google Docs, recently). So, I'm considering an iPad.

Most of the web applications and sites that I use have iPad apps available, and some that I'd love to try out. It's light weight, cheaper than a full computer, and looks like fun, too. I can even justify it as a good professional development purchase--since I could experiment with access issues and the educational apps available.

But....the iPad business model really does go against my principles as a professional and as a person. Everything is funneled through Apple's app store, with whatever tracking Apple wants to invoke. If Apple doesn't approve an app, it just plain not available. I'm an open access advocate, considering a really closed piece of hardware. (My other computer is a Linux box.)

So, friends and readers, do you have an iPad? What do you think? What do you think of the apps, and the business model? What are the keyboards like? Do you have something else to recommend?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Hedreen said...

Ran across this on LISNews: the iPad is Heavy.

2:18 PM, October 13, 2010  
Blogger Irina said...

I don't personally own an iPad, but my mother does and she loves it, however the only thing she uses it is for youtube and maybe a couple of google recipes. I personally found it quite uncomfortable and was very eager to return to my Samsung laptop as soon as I could. The iPad is very uncomfortable as it almost unallows misspellings, so if I want to search for unknown artist, it will "fix" the name for me. Of course it could be avoided by clicking elsewhere, but it really was annoying. As well as it is very limited. When I signed on Youtube it was hard to figure out on how to browse, since it looks absolutely differently. Moreover, you can't save absolutely anything, not even a wallpaper, not even a slightest pic.

3:12 AM, January 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home